New Confirmation Dates - September 14-16 2021
Tuesday, Sept. 14 - Mary Ward and Mrs. Capitano's Class from St. John Henry Newman
Wednesday, Sept. 15 - St. Gabriel and Mr. Tam's class from St. John Henry Newman
Thursday, Sept. 16 - St. Vincent de Paul and Notre Dame
Last year's confirmation ceremonies had to be postponed because of COVID-19. Bishop Bergie has offered us new dates in September. At the moment, we assume that all the same protocols will still be in effect because of the requirement for 6 ft of physical distance between members of different households.
These requirements include the following:
Physical distancing and maximum attendance have been set by the bishops of Ontario in consultation with public health. The attendance limits and the procedures come from the bishop's office as well. Because these items concern public health legislation, they are non-negotiable. These items are taken verbatim from previous letters:
1. Candidates will choose a sponsor; however, at the ceremony, sponsors are not to be in attendance for the celebration. The pastor will act as a proxy for all confirmation sponsors.
2. Attendance will be limited to the candidate’s parents/guardians, for a total of 3 people per family, including the candidate. This will allow two families per pew with appropriate physical distancing.
3. Each school community is welcome to send the principal and the classroom teacher.
4. Confirmation candidates will not wear gowns. Those who attend must wear face masks (as per the regional by-law) and are to remain in their designated pew until they are directed to approach the Bishop.
5. No one is to leave their pew to take photos, but each school may have one individual assigned to take photos during the celebration. Due to physical distancing, the bishop and the pastor will not be available for photos.”
Given the simplicity of the ceremony this year, a rehearsal will not be necessary. Families will be given assigned seating.
Of course, these conditions may change. How will we notify you?
Everyone who has registered for confirmation last year has been automatically uploaded into Flocknote, our parish communication system. We will reach out to you by email over the summer with any updates and with some great videos about confirmation. If you have not received an email by the end of July, please contact the parish office, 905-358-7611 to update your contact information. Or, check out our parish Flocknote page at scapular.flocknote.com
I wish you all the best as we begin to open up our communities. My goal is to create a beautiful and memorable ceremony for everyone. Keep in mind that none of these protocols change the core essence of confirmation, which is a celebration of full initiation into the catholic church through the descent of the Holy Spirit upon our candidates so that they may be more fully conformed to the image of Christ.
Have a wonderful summer, and thank you so much for your patience. if there is anything I can do for your family, please don’t hesitate to reach out. I hope to see you in church!